Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): [1] 2 Next >
Alice Walker & sex partner Tracy Chapman
evens1
Forum Elder

Group: Registered
Alice Walker & sex partner Tracy Chapman

Author Alice Walker discussed her affair in the 90s with folksy alternative music artist Tracy Chapman in a recent interview. She said she didn’t want to serve as anyone’s poster woman for lesbianism, and that’s why she’s kept quiet about it up until now.

No retreat

Writer and feminist Alice Walker talks to Sara Wajid about growing older, her affair with Tracy Chapman and the connection between the niqab and high heels

Friday December 15, 2006

The Guardian

"....people are still fascinated by her love affair with the singer Tracy Chapman in the mid-1990s. Moments earlier she had said firmly but politely that she didn't want to answer any questions about her family life. (Her daughter Rebecca, from her marriage to Levanthal, published a frank memoir in 2000 in which she criticised the self-absorption of both parents after their divorce.) So I was surprised to see her face light up at the mention of Chapman. "Yeah I loved it too. Absolutely."

Why was it kept so quiet at the time? "It was quiet to you maybe but that's because you didn't live in our area," she answers with a throaty laugh. She has written about the relationship in her journals, which she plans to publish one day. So why did they decide against using their relationship to make a big social impact like other celebrity lesbian couples, such as Ellen DeGeneres and Anne Heche, have in the past? The idea seems to amuse her. "I would never do that. My life is not to be somebody else's impact - you know what I mean? And it was delicious and lovely and wonderful and I totally enjoyed it and I was completely in love with her but it was not anybody's business but ours."

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/stor...ss&feed=10

TBM members...

I sent this article because I am aware that some of you idolize Alice Walker and many of the top Black female authors and artists. What many of you don't seen to know is that they have and will continue to influence your life in ways that you may not understand.

Questions?

1.) Is it possible for a lesbian/bisexual female to write a book that will not be inflenced by her feeling of men

2.) Is the wildly popular book, sponsored by Ms Oprah Winfrey, tainted by Alice Walker's attitudes about Black men?

3.) Did you know that Alice Walker was gay when you first saw the Color Purple?

4.) How does it make you feel to know this now after the film and or book has already influenced your life?

EV

Source of Pics

http://www.celebitchy.com/2435/color_pur...y_chapman/
........................................................................................................................................
Buy the film - "Diary of a Tired Black Man"    online @  http://tiredblackman.com

[b]In this time of "Me, Me, Me" thinking, no matter what you do, it's still always about "Us"![/b]
10-23-2007 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rodney82
Frequent Poster

RE: Alice Walker & sex partner Tracy Chapman

No suprise there especially since all of her work basically bashes black men

www.myspace.com/rodneymclovin
10-23-2007 06:19 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ravage Returns
It's a great day to be alive!

At the end of the fucking day, who really gives a fuck, is tracy chapman still recording that feminst lesbo bullshit? I havent even heard her on the radio, in like forever.

So what if they're both lesbos' it's a known fact that lesbians have a problem with me, Some hate them, some want to be them.

But who is alice walker fucking now? I dont care. She hasnt wrote any books that I have considered to be life altering or controversial or mega sellers. She has her own market but I dont care!

So they had an affair in the 90's. Was alice walker married when doing that? I dont know, Does her family know? Probably do know now. lol.

I never saw the color purple nor have I seen the film. Much of alice walker's stories put men in a negative light too often and people can read between the lines. Her daughter basically put her on blast for being a hypocrite. You have some people in life who has their own agenda's and their delusions of the fantasies come true. Alice is one of them. If you knew you were gay, why did you marry a man and get pregnant by him, just to divorce. You could have went to a sperm bank. lol.

Anyway's bottom line. Who the fuck is alice walker again? I never read her works, never read about her life. And you know what as a writer myself I dont give a flying fuck about her. She's too old to be fucking anyone else anyway.

Who I am!!!:

www.myspace.com/shawnravage
10-23-2007 06:56 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wisdomisawoman
Legends of the Forum

davidbmitchell Wrote:

Rodney82 Wrote:
No suprise there especially since all of her work basically bashes black men

Ditto.  I could tell from the tone of her book "The Color Purple" that she was a hard core feminist.  Like it or not, feminism and lesbianism go hand in hand.  That's the truth.  I just wish more women understood this.

Hey dbm the highlighted is not the truth. My closets female friend use to be a lesbian. She is no longer but it was work or her mentally, spiritually, and physically to overcome it. SHE WAS NEVER A FEMINIST! She just was not attracted to men. She was attracted to woman since she was young. She never knew why she felt like that. She is not gay anymore but in a long term relationships with a black guy and will be married soon. Point is lebsian and feminists do not always go hand in hand.

Reality is the name we give to our disappointments

Mason Cooley
10-23-2007 07:23 PM
evens1
Forum Elder

evens1 Wrote:
Author Alice Walker discussed her affair in the 90s with folksy alternative music artist Tracy Chapman in a recent interview. She said she didn’t want to serve as anyone’s poster woman for lesbianism, and that’s why she’s kept quiet about it up until now.

No retreat

Writer and feminist Alice Walker talks to Sara Wajid about growing older, her affair with Tracy Chapman and the connection between the niqab and high heels

Friday December 15, 2006

The Guardian

"....people are still fascinated by her love affair with the singer Tracy Chapman in the mid-1990s. Moments earlier she had said firmly but politely that she didn't want to answer any questions about her family life. (Her daughter Rebecca, from her marriage to Levanthal, published a frank memoir in 2000 in which she criticised the self-absorption of both parents after their divorce.) So I was surprised to see her face light up at the mention of Chapman. "Yeah I loved it too. Absolutely."

Why was it kept so quiet at the time? "It was quiet to you maybe but that's because you didn't live in our area," she answers with a throaty laugh. She has written about the relationship in her journals, which she plans to publish one day. So why did they decide against using their relationship to make a big social impact like other celebrity lesbian couples, such as Ellen DeGeneres and Anne Heche, have in the past? The idea seems to amuse her. "I would never do that. My life is not to be somebody else's impact - you know what I mean? And it was delicious and lovely and wonderful and I totally enjoyed it and I was completely in love with her but it was not anybody's business but ours."

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/stor...ss&feed=10

TBM members...

I sent this article because I am aware that some of you idolize Alice Walker and many of the top Black female authors and artists. What many of you don't seen to know is that they have and will continue to influence your life in ways that you may not understand.

Questions?

1.) Is it possible for a lesbian/bisexual female to write a book that will not be inflenced by her feeling of men

2.) Is the wildly popular book, sponsored by Ms Oprah Winfrey, tainted by Alice Walker's attitudes about Black men?

4.) How does it make you feel to know this now after the film and or book has already influenced your life?

EV

Source of Pics

........................................................................................................................................
Buy the film - "Diary of a Tired Black Man"    online @  http://tiredblackman.com

EV's Answers

1.) Is it possible for a lesbian/bisexual female to write a book that will not be inflenced by her feeling of men?

It is not possible. Everyone's viewpoint is tainted by their experience in life. If a woman is born lesbian and has many positive experiences with men, there are few reasons why she will write negatively of men, but she is still influences by her point of view as a lesbian. Positive or negative beliefs about men will affect any book that she writes.

Alice Walker is an Angry Black Female. She used that book and later the Oprah Winfrey backed film to make a massive statement to the world. That statement, made in the form of the evil character (Mister) has caused hell for many of us. Although many women see her as a hero, I can not see her as anything more than a destroyer.

I had not a clue who she was or what her mindset was about when I first saw the film. I actually loved the film, until I began to understand it's meanings.

I am not happy with either Alice Walker (the creator of the term Womanist) or Oprah Winfrey. I think that they and others have done a job in wrecking a lot of people and our relationships. I wish that Black women, especially, can begin to see that film for what it is. BRAINWASHING!

I don't have any problem with a female who is gay and I still love Tracy Chapman's music. I do have a problem with the lesbian/ feminist agenda of shreading the family. I hope they all get what they deserve from GOD.

EV

[b]In this time of "Me, Me, Me" thinking, no matter what you do, it's still always about "Us"![/b]
10-24-2007 05:29 AM
artbunker
Banned

Group: Banned

wELL IT EXPLAINS THE KISSING SCECE BETWEEN CEILIA AND SUGH NOW Icon_smile2

10-24-2007 06:08 AM
evens1
Forum Elder

artbunker Wrote:

Artbunker

That scene was an endorsement for the lesbian lifestyle. It was lightly touched in the film. So lightly that most people didn't even understand it. The book on the other hand was almost like a manual! LOL!

Is there any wonder now ... why... after the book, lesbianism started coming out of the closet in the Black community?

Again - I have no problem with lesbians. I have a huge problem with females who want to bury men and bury the family structure. The feminists, along with the boneheads who followed their teachings like ROBOTS are the problem. They have created this BLACK GENDER WAR and Alice Walker, one of the heads of the womanist movement, is one of the chief instigators of that war.

EV

10-24-2007 07:08 AM
artbunker
Banned

Group: Banned
Icon_eek  RE: Alice Walker & sex partner Tracy Chapman

evens1 Wrote:

artbunker Wrote:

Artbunker

That scene was an endorsement for the lesbian lifestyle. It was lightly touched in the film. So lightly that most people didn't even understand it. The book on the other hand was almost like a manual! LOL!

Is there any wonder now ... why... after the book, lesbianism started coming out of the closet in the Black community?

Again - I have no problem with lesbians. I have a huge problem with females who want to bury men and bury the family structure. The feminists, along with the boneheads who followed their teachings like ROBOTS are the problem. They have created this BLACK GENDER WAR and Alice Walker, one of the heads of the womanist movement, is one of the chief instigators of that war.

EV

I know I know but now its even more obvious now than it was before.  I did notice Mister and polo were opposites ends of men though either one was too agressive and female beating or the other was too weak and controlled by women. But low and behold all the victims in the movies are women..??

I just relaized that man. goodness That movie was brainwashing. The woman was done wrong by a man fom the beginning .  Man I never realized that.  I mean I just got the movie this woman survived life even fomr being raped by her father , beaten andhad to take care of another mans child and sold to him and was basically a slave. Then she gets the strengthe to leave her with another woman being her guide.
Man I dont know why I didnt realize this before.

Then the other adlut male character in the movie is a Woman and gets bitched by oprah who is a ANGRY BLACK WOMAN in the movie.  FORGET SPICE WORLD THIS MOVIE SPEAKS GIRL POWER MORE THAN ANY.

Damn at least TINA TURNER had a readon to fight IKE in WHATS LVOE GOT TO DO WITH IT.

10-24-2007 07:20 AM
sasha
Legends of the Forum

evens1 Wrote:

Questions?

Nope, a person's sexual orientation will influence how he or she feels about a matter.  Similarly, a person's ethnic background, gender, race, social class, religion, etc will influence how they see the world.  I think it's possible for a lesbian aor bisexual to right a book or movie that is not male bashing.

I think the movie is more problematic than the book.  In other words, the movie has a very unfair depiction and representation of black men.  The book-I'm not sure.  THe aspects of the book that were great appeared to be undermined w/ the movie.  I still believe that Walker had an agenda with the book.

No.  I learned probably in high school  when I was introduced to Walker's essays by a journalism instructor.  Most of the work that I enjoyed by Walker were her books of essay namely-In Search of Our Mother's Garden.  I was a women's studies minor so I read a lot of femininst perspectives.  Walker isn't my favorite.  I think her work is greatly underminded by her issues with black men. Actually I learned that more than a few of these black women have issues-but that's another thread.  

It didn't make a great deal of difference to me.  THe fact that she has issues with black men isn't necessarily related to her her sexual orientation.  There are black women who have issue with black men who are not gay.  

EV

Source of Pics

10-24-2007 09:56 AM
NoniJuice
Womens Opinions DO matter

artbunker Wrote:

Icon_ehIcon_lolIcon_xp

<~~~Raising hand: Do I have an opinion to be expressed on the board? ...or am I to STFU and be submissive at all times to whatever wind of doctrine comes my way?
10-24-2007 10:05 AM
evens1
Forum Elder

sasha Wrote:

Sasha answered:

Questions?

Nope, a person's sexual orientation will influence how he or she feels about a matter.  Similarly, a person's ethnic background, gender, race, social class, religion, etc will influence how they see the world.  I think it's possible for a lesbian aor bisexual to right a book or movie that is not male bashing.

I think the movie is more problematic than the book.  In other words, the movie has a very unfair depiction and representation of black men.  The book-I'm not sure.  THe aspects of the book that were great appeared to be undermined w/ the movie.  I still believe that Walker had an agenda with the book.

No.  I learned probably in high school  when I was introduced to Walker's essays by a journalism instructor.  Most of the work that I enjoyed by Walker were her books of essay namely-In Search of Our Mother's Garden.  I was a women's studies minor so I read a lot of femininst perspectives.  Walker isn't my favorite.  I think her work is greatly underminded by her issues with black men. Actually I learned that more than a few of these black women have issues-but that's another thread.  

It didn't make a great deal of difference to me.  THe fact that she has issues with black men isn't necessarily related to her her sexual orientation. There are black women who have issue with black men who are not gay.  

EV

Source of Pics

Thanks Sasha!Icon_up

EV

10-24-2007 10:11 AM
evens1
Forum Elder

Come on people! I know that many of you have opinions about The Color Purple!

Please read the article above and give the questions a try. I need your input.

Questions?

EV

10-24-2007 09:55 PM
ChoklitGirlWonder
Light Poster

Obviously, none of you read the book...I'm not going to get into the argument about whether the book/movie is male bashing, ect.

But...if you had actually READ the book, you'd know that after Celie left Mister, and runs off with Shug they have a full blown affair (even though Shug is married)...

Just thought I'd throw you all a bone...

Good bread, good meat, good lord let's eat!
10-24-2007 10:09 PM
Jan Wyatt
Moderate Poster

ChoklitGirlWonder Wrote:
Obviously, none of you read the book...I'm not going to get into the argument about whether the book/movie is male bashing, ect.

But...if you had actually READ the book, you'd know that after Celie left Mister, and runs off with Shug they have a full blown affair (even though Shug is married)...

My recollection is that once Celie and Shug got together, they were lovers for life, so their relationship winds through much of the book.

The sex, and much more so the relationship, were seriously downplayed in the movie.  The sex was wedged into the other action in such a way that it was easy to miss, and if one didn't miss it, it was easy to forget.  So much so that a friend of mine who was in the process of coming out as a lesbian missed it.  I only spotted and remembered it because I'd read the book first.

By the way, Shug Avery was bisexual in the book, and by my recollection never renounced nor stopped being involved with men.

10-25-2007 12:37 AM
ChoklitGirlWonder
Light Poster

Jan Wyatt Wrote:

ChoklitGirlWonder Wrote:

My recollection is that once Celie and Shug got together, they were lovers for life, so their relationship winds through much of the book.

The sex, and much more so the relationship, were seriously downplayed in the movie.  The sex was wedged into the other action in such a way that it was easy to miss, and if one didn't miss it, it was easy to forget.  So much so that a friend of mine who was in the process of coming out as a lesbian missed it.  I only spotted and remembered it because I'd read the book first.

By the way, Shug Avery was bisexual in the book, and by my recollection never renounced nor stopped being involved with men.

I haven't read it in a while, but I do remember that they began messing around on one of the occassions that Shug came to stay with them. The next thing I remember is that once they left Mister, they did become full blown lovers for a long time. I don't remember whether it ended or not but they way I recall her speaking of it was in past tense. Either way, it was glossed over in the movie (there was just that little kissing scene when Shug was in the tub),

Maybe, Alice Walkers book IS in fact influenced by her views on men. I never looked at it like that. But either way, Celie's story (not the lesbianism) is one that I've heard before from other family members who grew up in the south. Sometimes Mister was a woman. My own grandmother was left in South Carolina when her mother first moved up north. She couldn't afford for them both to go so my grandma was left with a great aunt who treated her horribly. She was taken out of school in the 8th grade so she could work. Mind you, my great grandmother would send money and clothes for her. The money was taken and the clothes were given to her lighter-skinned cousin (who was the same age and still allowed to attend school). She wasn't allowed to write letters either. My great grandmother had no idea how bad things were until she came for a visit two years later. Like I said, Mister was a woman. And sadly this is story I've heard from the older folks in my family before (whether the offending party was male or female)

I read this book with my own family experiences in mind. Maybe that and the fact that I'm not a man affected my view on the book.

Good bread, good meat, good lord let's eat!
10-25-2007 06:56 AM
Pages (2): [1] 2 Next >
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: