Post Reply  Post Thread 
1 Votes - 5 Average   "Awaiting Instructions" The PR War on Boys
HARVEST
Legends of the Forum

Group: Registered
"Awaiting Instructions" The PR War on Boys

Respect Men

This image is making it's way around the blogs and just like others, I have to comment.

It's part of a campaign to engage boys/men in the fight against domestic violence.

"As a father, coach, mentor or a male friend, men have the opportunity – and responsibility – to teach boys to respect girls and women. They’re watching; they’re waiting; they’ll listen."

That is all very nice, but a few things need to be pointed out:

1. There is this assumption that respect is something women are entitled to by simply being a woman. They don't have to earn it through good behavior or by being a lady. Men are to respect women no matter what. If one wants to use such a blanket definition, then men too should be respected no matter what. Men should be respected when they behave badly and when they don't act like gentlemen. But of course, we all know that will never happen, because a man "has to earn a woman's respect"; we hear that often enough, but women never have to earn a man's respect.

Plus, if we are applying respect equally, who is out there teaching girls/women to respect boys/men? Insert crickets playing here......

2. Imagine the same image with a girl wearing a shirt that said, "awaiting instructions" and on the side there was a list that said:
Be a good wife
Stay at home with your children
Cook me dinner
Respect men

We all know this would be an outrage! It would be deemed sexist and oppressive amongst many other things. Yet here we are telling men that it is OK for them to take orders/instructions from women.  "But, but, but, that's because men gave women instructions for hundreds of years. It's our turn now to for men to take instruction from us". Will that ever get old? How long do women have to be 'free', before things become truly equal; with the same definition of respect applied to men as it is for women. This shows that its not about applying standards equally, but about women having 'power'. If it's about equality, women, then stop the "men did it first game", and if someone were to create a similar "Respect Men" image, let them have their say.

3. Why exactly do we think boys/men are watching, waiting, and listening? I guess because they should have it drilled into them by now that women rule them. I think that assumption says a lot about the social conditioning our boys/men have been through. Such socially conditioned boys and men will now blindly follow any feminist or progressive cause.

On a related note, we know that if girls/women were told to respect men, they would NOT be watching, waiting, and listening, because that too has been drilled into them. "Don't watch, wait, or listen for men to do or tell you anything."

http://fullofgraceseasonedwithsalt.blogs...t-men.html

Failure is not a single cataclysmic event. You dont fail overnight. Instead, failure is a few errors in judgement. repeated everyday.
01-14-2011 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brotha Meph
Saix: The Lunar Divider

RE: "Awaiting Instructions" The PR War on Boys

Where's the "Respect Men" shirts for girls?

This is just as bad as that "Princess Boy" fiasco that happened earlier this year.

There's nothing more low and pathetic than the Amerikkkan NBW.
01-14-2011 08:55 AM
Dimaati
Foodie Addict

Brotha Meph Wrote:
Where's the "Respect Men" shirts for girls?

This is just as bad as that "Princess Boy" fiasco that happened earlier this year.

Since there's been a marked rise in women abusing men in domestic violence suits, it's fair.

Whatever happened to 'don't put your hands on someone in violence'?? That makes for a nice tshirt...

"What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?"

Jeph Jacques, Questionable Content, #1615, March 2010
01-14-2011 09:04 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brotha Meph

Dimaati Wrote:

Since there's been a marked rise in women abusing men in domestic violence suits, it's fair.

What exactly do you think is fair?

01-14-2011 09:17 AM
Dimaati
Foodie Addict

Brotha Meph Wrote:

Dimaati Wrote:

What exactly do you think is fair?

You're idea of the "Respect Men" tshirts. Domestice violence is a man's issue too. The rates of men being beaten, while still under reported, have increased.  Perfect example is that teen caught on tape attacking her baby's father.

01-14-2011 09:21 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brotha Meph

Dimaati Wrote:

You're idea of the "Respect Men" tshirts. Domestice violence is a man's issue too. The rates of men being beaten, while still under reported, have increased.  Perfect example is that teen caught on tape attacking her baby's father.

The battle would be getting these females to actually wear it.

Wait..........just simply get whomever is the  biggest whore icon to wear it.

They emulate them to...a....T.

01-14-2011 09:25 AM
Dimaati
Foodie Addict

Brotha Meph Wrote:

Dimaati Wrote:

The battle would be getting these females to actually wear it.

Wait..........just simply get whomever is the  biggest whore icon to wear it.

They emulate them to...a....T.

Meph, I'm serious. I marched this summer & will be marching again in the hoods of this city to rise awareness of domestic violence towards men. It happens to 1 in 4 man in this country & it's rising. 2 issues I don't make fun of-safe sex & domestic violence against men & women. Sorry if I can't find the humor because I advocate hard for those 2 causes.

I like the tshirt idea & might have some artist draw something up for people to wear & fundraise with.

01-14-2011 09:30 AM
Brotha Meph

Dimaati Wrote:

I like the tshirt idea & might have some artist draw something up for people to wear & fundraise with.

You're typing to a art school graduate. If you're serious, shoot me or my wife a PM.

01-14-2011 09:33 AM
Dimaati
Foodie Addict

Brotha Meph Wrote:

Dimaati Wrote:

You're typing to a art school graduate. If you're serious, shoot me or my wife a PM.

Cool!!! When I get some thoughts onto paper, will do!!

Trying to figure a way that hits people. The ads that Harvest put up are ok but they say anything important when it comes to domestice violence. "Respect Women" as both of you pointed out, isn't a good way to get the message across-I think it's too misleading & slants domestice violence as something that only happens to women.  

Kool just posted an article http://www.tiredblackman.com/forums/show...1#pid99631 from the UK about sexual abuse & young boys.

01-14-2011 09:41 AM
evens1
Forum Elder

HARVEST Wrote:
Respect Men

This image is making it's way around the blogs and just like others, I have to comment.

It's part of a campaign to engage boys/men in the fight against domestic violence.

"As a father, coach, mentor or a male friend, men have the opportunity – and responsibility – to teach boys to respect girls and women. They’re watching; they’re waiting; they’ll listen."

That is all very nice, but a few things need to be pointed out:

1. There is this assumption that respect is something women are entitled to by simply being a woman. They don't have to earn it through good behavior or by being a lady. Men are to respect women no matter what. If one wants to use such a blanket definition, then men too should be respected no matter what. Men should be respected when they behave badly and when they don't act like gentlemen. But of course, we all know that will never happen, because a man "has to earn a woman's respect"; we hear that often enough, but women never have to earn a man's respect.

Plus, if we are applying respect equally, who is out there teaching girls/women to respect boys/men? Insert crickets playing here......

2. Imagine the same image with a girl wearing a shirt that said, "awaiting instructions" and on the side there was a list that said:
Be a good wife
Cook me dinner
Respect men

We all know this would be an outrage! It would be deemed sexist and oppressive amongst many other things. Yet here we are telling men that it is OK for them to take orders/instructions from women.  "But, but, but, that's because men gave women instructions for hundreds of years. It's our turn now to for men to take instruction from us". Will that ever get old? How long do women have to be 'free', before things become truly equal; with the same definition of respect applied to men as it is for women. This shows that its not about applying standards equally, but about women having 'power'. If it's about equality, women, then stop the "men did it first game", and if someone were to create a similar "Respect Men" image, let them have their say.

3. Why exactly do we think boys/men are watching, waiting, and listening? I guess because they should have it drilled into them by now that women rule them. I think that assumption says a lot about the social conditioning our boys/men have been through. Such socially conditioned boys and men will now blindly follow any feminist or progressive cause.

On a related note, we know that if girls/women were told to respect men, they would NOT be watching, waiting, and listening, because that too has been drilled into them. "Don't watch, wait, or listen for men to do or tell you anything."

http://fullofgraceseasonedwithsalt.blogs...t-men.html

"On a related note, we know that if girls/women were told to respect men, they would NOT be watching, waiting, and listening, because that too has been drilled into them. "

"Don't watch, wait, or listen for men to do or tell you anything."

And here is one of the huge problems that we can witness here (on this board) and everywhere else. Females have been very well programmed to NOT listen to anything men have to say. That is the #1 Black communication problem in a nutshell. It's nothing new.... Black females have long ago been programmed not to listen to men because it WORKS!

It works to keep 2 things in place.

1.) Keeps the focus on battling, therefore all eyes never see the cause of the problem (aka - the programmers.. aka racist white society, aka the old slave system.) This, in turn, prevents solutions to every be agreed upon and implemented.

* The "old system" has now been replaced with "a new world order" in which these types of social programming is no longer need, but there are still hundreds of millions of individuals world wide who were raised and produced within the "old" system. Many of these folks can not function outside of the "old" system, therefore, those people are in the process of being eliminated by the "new order". The insane part of this is that the folks being eliminated can't see it happening!

2.) It keeps a steady flow of men coming into the female's lives to impregnate... then RUN. You can not argue with men constantly then expect that these men are going to hang around for more bullshit. The nonsense that many Black females are doing is DESIGNED TO CREATE SINGLE BLACK FEMALES! But, the joke is, that the same females who are victim to this can not see that they are dooming themselves. They then want to blame men for leaving them! Nonsense!

The majority of Black females will argue and fight over the most stupid things while the powers who created the conditioning stand over us and laugh at how insane we are.

EV

[b]In this time of "Me, Me, Me" thinking, no matter what you do, it's still always about "Us"![/b]
01-14-2011 09:47 AM
charlesh1609
Lamar, where's my Harpers?

So, if it's got a vagina, men should respect it.  Right?

Lemme throw out some names of females we all should respect;

Karrine Steffans aka Superhead
China Arnold
Crystal Gale Mangum
The "mother" who allows her baby outside to play in the snow wearing nothing but a diaper

just to name a few.

Sorry, but no way in HELL will I EVER co-sign such a blanket policy or concept.  Aretha Franklin aside, respect is EARNED.  period, point, blank.  

I'll show basic courtesy to ANYone;; winos, ho's, presidents or police.  Beyond that, it depends on how that person manifests their worthiness.

But keep that propaganda machine going.

Get in where you fit in.

No thanks, lady.  Keep your number.  I don't DO Ghetto.
01-14-2011 05:16 PM
IndependentBlackman
Resident Purveyor Of The Hard Truth

What is this foolishness?  There is no way in hell that women should be respected simply because they are women.  The message should be, only respect respect-worthy women!

01-14-2011 06:23 PM
khaynes
Inactive - deletion pending

Group: Banned

HARVEST Wrote:
Be a good wife
Cook me dinner
Respect men

We all know this would be an outrage! It would be deemed sexist and oppressive amongst many other things. Yet here we are telling men that it is OK for them to take orders/instructions from women.  

That argument is exaggerated. The boys' posters say gender neutral/ non-marital things like "eat your vegetables" not "manicure your wife's nails." So the girls' poster would probably read:

Eat your vegetables
Don't play with matches
Finish your homework
Respect men

Which doesn't seem that outrageous to me.

I do think that the "awaiting instructions" logo on the shirt is inappropriate. Perhaps it should say "awaiting mentorship."

I agree that the campaign assumes too much that boys are bad by default and that that women do not need as much mentorship. I like the idea of a "respect men" co-campaign (the term "counter" omitted deliberately) because the "respect women" campaign lacks balance.

The tired black man's cause is bolstered by genuine stories and real personal accounts. Exaggerations, extremism, actors, and trolls only weaken it.
01-15-2011 07:57 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites
Rate This Thread: